Hi all! Hope you are well. Here are few updates. --Lauren
Here's what you'll find below
- Workshop for LGBTQI people is THIS Saturday...
- Then one for teens going to college ...
- Check out the workshops for the fall: Middle-Schoolers & Moms; Guns, Knives & More; and Intro for Women/Girls 16+
- Where we've been
- "I said no and I am proud"
- Thought-provoking news
Self-defense basics for the LGBTQI communityJoin us to learn: How to prevent and avoid harassment, attack, and abuse...How to stop a threatening situation with words...Moves to use against common attacks. We'll address the range of situations you might encounter, including hate crimes and abusive relationships.
- Saturday, June 27, 11 am - 2 pm
- For anyone who identifies as LGBTQI or an ally, ages 18 and up
- Downtown DC at MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) (near Mt. Vernon Square/Convention Center on the Yellow and Green Lines)
- $37 before June 19, $43 after. Sign up with a friend/family member and get $5 off each
Get ready for college: Self-defense for rising high school seniors and first-year college students
We'll address the range of situations you might encounter, including unwanted sexual attention (including rape), and use of alcohol/drugs and technology to violate boundaries.
- Saturday, August 1, 1-4 pm
- In Bethesda near Cedar Lane
- $39 before July 15, $57 after. Sign up with a friend/family member and get $5 off each
- Intro to self defense for middle-schoolers (and moms): a Saturday in September
- Guns, knives, and more (for those who have taken some self defense): a Saturday in October
- Intro to self defense (for women and girls 16+): a Sunday in November
You can now pay for classes with Paypal. For more info or to register, contact me at 301-608-3708 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited scholarships for low-income people. Where we've been
Where we've been
- Achievers Club/Rockville Community Center
- Black Gay Pride Town Hall on Intimate Partner Violence
- Discovery Communications
- Go Girls!/ YMCA Youth & Family Services
- SISTERS/Family Support Center (several elementary, middle, and high schools in Montgomery County and DC)
- Teen Life Clubs/Children's Hospital
- Temple Shalom
- WIN (Women's Information Network)/Women Opening Doors for Women
- World Bank
- Younger Women's Task Force
Did you know Defend Yourself offers customized workshops? We will come to your workplace, community group, gathering of family/friends, Girl Scout troop, bowling or book club... you name it! The workshop can be as short or long as you like, and located conveniently for you.