11.18.2008

no cell phones would have ruined me

This weekend I drove to visit some friends of mine at Villanova, by way of Baltimore to pick up a friend at Loyola. Along the drive I got lost (of course) and when I called a friend to get directions (she was at her computer) and we had been over them and I couldnt figure out what road was which (no signs, obviously) she suggested I pull over at a gas station to figure it out. Not going to lie, I took one look at the places I was passing and decided to put gas prices out of my mind and just to figure it out on my own. Why would I do that? because the thought of getting out of the car and having to walk past all these men (at some places I could see men just sitting on the curb or walking in large groups) to go ask for directions, which clearly meant I didn't belong there was just too much for me to handle. Instead I spent 30 min on the phone with a friend until she figured out what to do and I got onto the road and on my way. This of course is all in areas that I was unfamiliar with. I hate that it was the fact that I couldnt even get directions without knowing I was going to be "attacked" (definately verbally, but I was in a bad part of Balitomore, I wasnt about to chance it physically) - what did we do in the age of no cell phones?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seriously!! cell phones have totally changed everything. how many of us have made pretend to be talking on the phone as we walk past a group of hollering men just to have something to occupy us and remove us, at least mentally, from the situation?

how many times have we had a friend call us to get us out of a situation we feel too uncomfortable to just remove ourselves from ("you know, I gotta go, I gotta take this call")?

how many times has calling a cab or a friend to pick us up or find us or help us saved our lifes? or at least our sense of safety?

I wasn't old enough to have been out and about before the cellular age. For those of you who came of age in the beeper days, or pre-beeper days, what do you think?

this is ladies night

washington, dc, United States
Have you ever been walking down the street and been hollered at, or perhaps been beeped at by a car - or whistled at while waiting for your ride? We know what it feels like and we want YOU to know that WE'RE RIGHT THERE WITH YOU. Share your experiences here. Share your stories, your reactions, your reflections... maybe your message will help someone else.